Is it me, or are people hurting more than ever before? I’m not just talking about the economy and the changes going on in society. These are simply symptoms of a greater problem. People are hurting and in deep pain. And it seems as though we’re content to ignore it.
Almost never a day goes by that I don’t have a heartbreaking conversation with some smart, good, intelligent person who’s carrying around a collection of disappointments that’s robbing them of the very life that Jesus created them for.
I don’t know about you, but I am sick and tired. I’m not going to take it anymore. So here’s what I’m going to do and I challenge you to do the same thing.
- I’m going to look people in the eye when I meet them. I’m going to lean forward, extend my hand and engage them. I’m going to let them know they are a valuable, important human being; not just another in a long line of faces I’ll forget as soon as they leave my presence.
- I’m going to smile. Yeah, I am. I’m going to smile. I’m not going to carry around a sour face that points to a deep wound that I haven’t dealt with. I’m forgiven. Period. I’m free. I’m loved as I am and not as I ought to be. And I’m ok with that. So I am not carrying around any deep wounds, or anger, or bitterness for someone who’s done me wrong. I’ve been betrayed, lied about, done dirty, just like you have. But join the human race. I’m just over it. Life is too short to waste it nursing a grudge.
- I’m going to ask important questions; not just the silly ones we ask each other – “How are you doing? What’s going on? How are the kids? What’s the weather?” – but “How are you doing? What’s going on in your life today? What are you excited about? What gets you up in the morning? What fills you with joy and creates energy? Are you on the road to your life’s calling?” Something better than the tripe that we trade and call deep conversation.
- I’m going to take action. When someone bares a pain to me and I can do something about it, I’m going to do something then and there. Schedule it, call it, use my connections, and get them help.
- I’m going to affirm people. I’m going to tell them what I think of them. I’m going to describe them in terms of how they are and could be. I’m not going to chide, be upset, mad, and maudlin. I’m going to say what needs to be said when it needs to be said.
- I’m going to inspire other people by loving them where they are.
- I’m going to write handwritten notes, send them out, and let people have something tangible that reflects my affection and belief in them.
- I’m going to make phone calls. I’m going to stop saying, “I hate talking on the phone” and talk on the phone. I’m going to call people who haven’t called me and I’m going to be the first one to act.
- I’m going to point people to Christ; not with sermons or a warning, but with my life and my words. I’m going to extend acceptance, love, and grace to people, period, no matter what they do or how embarrassing they may become.
- I am going to practice W.W.O.N.D.A. with God’s help. That’s’ win-win-or-no-deal-always.
Bottom line, I’m just sick and tired of seeing people hurt when it’s unnecessary. I’m sick and tired of religiosity getting in the way of grace. I’m sick and tired of people being bound up by the shame and guilt and bitterness of the past. I’m going to do everything I can to lead people out of that dark place into the sunlight of God’s love, His forgiveness, and the joy that every day offers. What are you going to do?