One of the trends of our current culture is that people have been waiting longer and longer to get married. And as I’m listening to more speakers and teachers on this subject, I can understand why. Because it seems that, across the board, that’s what we’re encouraging.
I want to reveal the fact that what I’m getting ready to say comes from a guy who got married when he was 18, and has no regrets. For me, getting married that early was the right thing. I was ready to get married, and I knew I should because I was at a point where I knew I could commit to that kind of relationship.
So here’s the point. Get married as soon as you can, but not before you should. You shouldn’t get married right now if:
- You have unsecured debt for which you have no plan to pay.
- You don’t have a job with the hopes of a career that can sustain a wife and a family.
- You’re emotionally still attached to your parents, living in their basement, expecting them to take care of all your needs.
- You’re waiting for that magical person to walk into your life, neglecting that fact that instead of finding the right person, you need to be the right person; trusting that being the right person will attract the right person.
- You’re not ready to get married if you’re not looking, seriously.
- You’re not ready to get married if you haven’t made the finding of a lifelong mate a matter of prayer.
All that having been said, stop waiting to get married and get married as soon as you possibly can. Don’t wait until your late twenties, early thirties, or even forties because you’ve held up arbitrary standards.
You also don’t want to get married before you should. Get married at the right time for the right reason, because you’ve met the right person.
I’m an advocate for marriage. It has radically changed my life. I shudder to think where I’d be today if it weren’t for the influence of a good woman in my life from the very beginning. Marriage isn’t just something that we tolerate or get through, or do because culture demands it. It is the way that two people grow great over time.