I think “normal” is way overrated when you understand that most people you meet have settled for a life far below what they could have.
This is never more true than when you think about marriage. Normal marriage in America means the following:
- Miserable and stuck, but not sure why.
- Hardly talking, except to argue.
- Crushing debt, with no plan to get out.
- Little sex, and even the little they have is not fulfilling.
- Temptation to stray, flirting with strangers.
- Stress at work, brought home.
- Stress at home, brought to work.
- A mild displeasure with life, but not enough energy to do anything about it.
So I don’t want “normal” for my marriage. I want an above normal marriage.
- One where we love each other and talk.
- One where we enjoy being together.
- We are best friends.
- We praise and lift each other up.
- Together we create something more from our lives that we could have ever enjoyed or created alone.
I dare you to refuse to accept a “normal” marriage. Listen, no one gets married to a boring person not having fun, but most people wind up there. If you refuse to accept normal and then pursue an extraordinary relationship, you just might end up with it.