You’ve heard the old saying, haven’t you? “How do you eat an elephant?….One bite at a time.”
Well, how do you get from where you are to where you want to be? Successful. Happy. Influential. Great relationships. Spiritually, emotionally, financially, and mentally at the top of your game. You get that one day at a time. Remember, there are no short-cuts to anyplace worth going.
So here are my five daily “I will’s” that have gotten me out of many places that have felt more like hell than heaven.
- I will be grateful. The first thought on my mind everyday is, “I’m here, I’m alive, I’m grateful.” I’m grateful for every day filled with sunshine and air to breathe. I’m grateful for food. I’m grateful for friends. I’m grateful for the way in which God has sustained my life. I have so much to be grateful for. And that’s the first choice of every day. Will I be grateful for what I have? Or will I be hateful over the things I don’t have, or have had and lost? I will be grateful.
- I will be focused. By focused, I mean focused on actions; not just a blur of activities thrown together. That means I have to have goals and direction. I have to have a B.S.A.D. – a big, scary, audacious dream. I have to have something that’s going to take the rest of my life to achieve. I’m focused on what I want, what I’m building, what I want to have and help other people get. I want to focus on the legacy that I want to leave my family and the world. I’m focused on what I want to make of myself every single day. No goals; no focus. No focus; no progress. No progress; no joy. No joy; no life.
- I will create goodwill. Everywhere I go today I’m going to be running into people. At the coffee shop, the gas station, the cleaners, at work, I come into contact with literally hundreds of people on a good day. And with each one of these people I am either creating good or ill will. So I will (on purpose) smile, engage, figure out how I can help the people around me win. Even though our encounter may be brief, I’m going to leave them with a smile and with a kind word.
- I will learn something today. Before you get richer and more powerful, before your life becomes the life of your dreams, not the one of your nightmares, you’re going to have to learn something. And the way to learn is to be fully present, to be curious, and inquisitive. Remember: I live, I learn; I learn, I teach; I teach, I live forever.
- I will be hopeful. Where I am today is not where I am going to be tomorrow because I am going to do the things I’ve talked about in this Dave Rave. My life is going to get better. I haven’t seen my better days. As a matter of fact, I try my best when people ask me these days, “How ya doin’?” to respond, “Never better.”
When someone asked President Jimmy Carter this question, “Go back over your life and tell me, what was your best day?” He thought a moment, looked at the interviewer with a smile and said, “Today.” Yes, what a wonderful day today is. You can go anywhere from here. You can do anything from today. Thank you, God for my today and all the other todays on their way. I am going to greet them with joy, with hope, with energy, and enthusiasm. I will be grateful and humble. I will do everything I can to help as many people as possible live the life of their dream. How about you?